Welcome to Airsoft Forums UK
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Terminology - What's what?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Hubert

Hubert

AF-UK Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

• Guns: Currently playing with:
    Walther PPK & P99 with suppressor, SIG-Sauer P228
    W.E. L85 & SUSAT

• Loadouts: FBI/ NYPD Detective.
    Generic soldier 2007+

Hmm, none of this exactly fills me with confidence...

Anyone have any experience with the ICS L85? I think that's what I'll work on first.

Where's Mr. Finius?

If it's any help, during my 8 months of researching airsoft SA80s to replace my AA model, the only forum posts (searched a lot of forums) about ICS L85s that had variants of the phrase "...so now my gun's buggered..." were almost always* started off with "I thought it'd be a great idea to open my gun and fiddle with the gearbox..."

*There are of course exceptions, but these seemed were incredibly rare. Unless the ICS owning community cba to visit forums...
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt: run in little circles, wave your arms and shout
- Parody of the Litany of Command, popular with Commissar cadets.

Airsoft-Ed

Airsoft-Ed

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4442 posts

• Guns: WE L85A2
    WE Glock 17 Gen4

• Loadouts: Contemporary British Army,
    Light weight belt set up,
    CBA Loadout (Jeans, hoody etc.)

• Sites: Regular site: Skirmish Airsoft, Mansfield.
    Visited: The Stan, Anzio, The Asylum, Brit-Tac Woodland, Tac-House, Free Fire Zone, Welbeck Academy, the list grows.
    See my YouTube channel for footage.
Really not helping with the confidence there Hubert lol.

Need AEG parts? Click here >> Major Airsoft! << Discount code Bullet4MyEnemy for 10% off. 

Find me on YouTube: Bullet4MyEnemy
forumfinal_zps326d20e3.jpg

Airsoft News & Review site: www.AirsoftOperator.com

Hubert

Hubert

AF-UK Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

• Guns: Currently playing with:
    Walther PPK & P99 with suppressor, SIG-Sauer P228
    W.E. L85 & SUSAT

• Loadouts: FBI/ NYPD Detective.
    Generic soldier 2007+
Yeah, in hindsight I realise I didn't quite understand what you were trying to ask, and didn't phrase my answer properly anyway.

Trying to say that of the few times I've seen people posting "HALP!!1!11!!!", it's almost always been down to a potentially inexperienced owner breaking/losing something, rather than the design of gun itself being so bad it's impossible to work on.

Youtube it, I'm pretty sure there are more than a few people who've posted "how to take apart an ICS L85" (And maybe they show you how to put it back together too!)

Alternatively - save your cash, experiment on an old/broken gearbox and get a payed gunsmith to do the job you actually want doing...
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt: run in little circles, wave your arms and shout
- Parody of the Litany of Command, popular with Commissar cadets.

Airsoft-Ed

Airsoft-Ed

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4442 posts

WE Glock 17 Gen4

Visited: The Stan, Anzio, The Asylum, Brit-Tac Woodland, Tac-House, Free Fire Zone, Welbeck Academy, the list grows.

Trying to say that of the few times I've seen people posting "HALP!!1!11!!!", it's almost always been down to the owner breaking/losing something, rather than the gun itself.

Youtube it, I'm pretty sure there are more than a few people who've posted "how to take apart an ICS L85" (And maybe they show you how to put it back together too!)

Alternatively - save your cash, experiment on an old/broken gearbox and get a payed gunsmith to do the job you actually want doing...

I would just pay someone to do it, but I don't know of any shops that employ someone with that level of know-how.

If what Finius did to his doesn't sound too complicated then I might just be able to do it myself, it's worth a try. If I end up totally FUBARing it, I'll just buy a new gearbox/motor set lol.

Need AEG parts? Click here >> Major Airsoft! << Discount code Bullet4MyEnemy for 10% off. 

geoffreym

geoffreym

AF-UK Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

• Guns: Star L1A1, M16 MRF Stryker, 2 TM MEU's, G&P pulse rifle, KWA MP7, KJW X-5, Ares Tavor,

• Loadouts: DPM, assault vest, webbing. pattern 56 gear (falklands). congo mercenary.

• Sites: Cool under Fire, Apocalypse

That's a cool ani gif :)

As with "geoffreym" don't quote me, I am no expert but my understanding was the bushing is the insert you put into the gearbox case. My original ones were in plastic ™ and they reduce the gearbox 'hole' size to match the pin sticking out of the gear. They come in 6, 7, and 8mm sizes depending on the size of the holes in the gearbox (I had to buy 6mm and went with metal to replace the dead plastic which had snapped). You can also get them in oil retaining, ball bearing and other flavours.

Shims are as geoffreym's comments, small discs of metal (washers to me but much thinner) which you put under gears to help sort out spacing.

Tappet plates ARE NOT the part that determines fire-mode. That would be your selector plate.

Tappet plates pull the air nozzle out of the way of the feed. They are attatched to the air nozzle, fit through a slot in the cylinder head, have a spring pulling them forwards and are pulled backwards by a small notch on the sector gear.

Bearings and Bushings are similar, they are what fit into the 6/7/8mm gearbox shell to make the holes a uniform and precise size for the gear shaftf to fit in. Bushings are simpley machined parts, bearings are bushings which spin more freely - in general use bearings, less wear and a higher ROF, use bushings for high stress jobs.

Shims are very thin, very accurate metal washers (they are often quoted in 4/5 sizes of 0.1mm, 0.15mm, 0.2mm and 0.3mm), they are used to space the often poorly fitting components (gears in particular) this means the gears wobble less, are aligned better and basically they make the gears run smoother with no clashing or interference.

well i haven't yet broken a rifle, so i'm giving myself a pat on the back, and even though i don't know the names of the parts, i can still strip and clean one very well.
(that wasn't meant in sarcasm, i learnt the hard way how to do things lol)

352a9bbb-46e1-428e-9bba-d051fc3d1c54_zps

Airsoft-Ed

Airsoft-Ed

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4442 posts

WE Glock 17 Gen4

Ok, so I'm thinking that to increase consistency I'll need to shim my gearbox and buy a better spring.

Anything else anyone would advise?

Also, do you think I ought to just buy a high quality M120, or buy a higher power spring and cut it so that it wears out more slowly?

Rock-climby-Dave

Rock-climby-Dave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2372 posts
no. get the spring you need, cutting it makes it inconsistent + is a pain. they all run out just as quick.

Send the doctors home, I'll be doing the operating around here.

Resident Patrol Base Techy, any questions about PB, message me and I'll do my best to answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users