Welcome to Airsoft Forums UK
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Barrel Upgrades

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Rock-climby-Dave

Rock-climby-Dave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2372 posts
As a stock weapon (and the only time it has been chrono'd) My M4 fired at 333fps. bang on what I expected. It has been used a fair amount since then (3 more skirmishes) so the spring may have worn a bit to a lower FPS, but the main point is the barrel.
I upgraded from a stock JG M4 barrel (not tighbore) to a madbull 6.03mm tightbore. (the barrel is also about 200mm longer now)
I believe this will make my FPS higher, due to less air escapiong around the BB so more of the air is used to push the BB itself.
A freind reckons that my FPS will be lower (although I don't see his reasoning)

who is right? and will it make much of a differnce either way?
I will have the gun chrono'd before I go airsofting on sunday anyway, as I need 328fps +/-5%

also, are chrono's worth the money?

Send the doctors home, I'll be doing the operating around here.

Resident Patrol Base Techy, any questions about PB, message me and I'll do my best to answer.

Matt!

Matt!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1290 posts

• Guns: L119A1

• Loadouts: DDPM, DPM, OD, TAN

As a stock weapon (and the only time it has been chrono'd) My M4 fired at 333fps. bang on what I expected. It has been used a fair amount since then (3 more skirmishes) so the spring may have worn a bit to a lower FPS, but the main point is the barrel.
I upgraded from a stock JG M4 barrel (not tighbore) to a madbull 6.03mm tightbore. (the barrel is also about 200mm longer now)
I believe this will make my FPS higher, due to less air escapiong around the BB so more of the air is used to push the BB itself.
A freind reckons that my FPS will be lower (although I don't see his reasoning)

who is right? and will it make much of a differnce either way?
I will have the gun chrono'd before I go airsofting on sunday anyway, as I need 328fps +/-5%

also, are chrono's worth the money?

chrono's aren't really worth the money unless they see regular use (such as at a site) :) when changing parts that may affect FPS always try and stay below site limits eg 300 rather then 330 bang on.

as for the FPS change im not sure, i always thought it wouldn't really change?

Posted Image

New To Airsoft? | Transporting RIF's?

{C}
QUOTE (Devastator)
Welcome to the forums :)

Devastator

Devastator

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4298 posts
I'm pretty sure it would increase because the BB would be under pressure for longer, I'm not totally sure though, and I don't think the increase would be that noticeable tbh, what spring you have is a far bigger factor in the FPS. Best thing to do is just fit it and see where you are, can always get a spring which will give you a lower velocity or chop a bit off your current one. Let us know the result :)

JerseyRider

JerseyRider

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1290 posts

• Guns: JG M4 S-system
    JG M4 CQB
    CYMA Glock 18C

• Loadouts: British DPM's
    Warrior R.I.C.A.S Compact (OD)
I guess it would only drop if it was a dirty barrel

So keep that barrel clean boy! ;)

Rock-climby-Dave

Rock-climby-Dave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2372 posts

I guess it would only drop if it was a dirty barrel

So keep that barrel clean boy! ;)

hehe, easier said than done. I no longer have a cleaning rod long enough <_<

maybe... I could tape the rod that came with the M4 to the one that came with the glock :P

Resident Patrol Base Techy, any questions about PB, message me and I'll do my best to answer.

abbadon101

abbadon101

AF-UK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

• Guns: Way to many for this box now. Not sure if thats good or bad :S

• Loadouts: 80's SAS Loadout
    Modern SAS loadout
    Ausi SASR Nam Loadout
    90's US SF Loadout

As far as a FPS increases go, if you go from a normal to a tight bore you COULD expect as much as a 20 FPS increase (but depends alot on the air seal achieved and alot of other factors), with length practically nothing as a BB reaches maximum velocity almost straight away (unlike in a real firearm where it increases with barrel length).

Rock-climby-Dave

Rock-climby-Dave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2372 posts
Got it chrono'd...

not good. A seal or something has gone wrong and I'm firing a constant 200fps :o . about 130 below what I would like.

now I need to pay monehs to get it fixed. but For now I have to skirmish as there isnt enough time to get it fixed by sunday :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users