Welcome to Airsoft Forums UK
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

ICS L85

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Airsoft-Ed

Airsoft-Ed

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4442 posts

• Guns: WE L85A2
    WE Glock 17 Gen4

• Loadouts: Contemporary British Army,
    Light weight belt set up,
    CBA Loadout (Jeans, hoody etc.)

• Sites: Regular site: Skirmish Airsoft, Mansfield.
    Visited: The Stan, Anzio, The Asylum, Brit-Tac Woodland, Tac-House, Free Fire Zone, Welbeck Academy, the list grows.
    See my YouTube channel for footage.
Ok.

My main aim in making this thread, at least for the time being, is just to find out what mags are compatible with it, I bought some King Arms H&K Branded mid caps from Nickona and they just don't work at all, they jam atrociously and I really can't understand why.

So that makes King Arms no good.

Does anyone know if MAG M16 mid caps will work?

Please list others you're aware of as well, this thread can work up to being a know it all guide about the ICS L85, I'll compile all the info into a list in the advice section or something as it's added here.

Cheers.

Need AEG parts? Click here >> Major Airsoft! << Discount code Bullet4MyEnemy for 10% off. 

Find me on YouTube: Bullet4MyEnemy
forumfinal_zps326d20e3.jpg

Airsoft News & Review site: www.AirsoftOperator.com

Rock-climby-Dave

Rock-climby-Dave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2374 posts
Magpul E-mags NOT Pmags

Send the doctors home, I'll be doing the operating around here.

Resident Patrol Base Techy, any questions about PB, message me and I'll do my best to answer.

CKinnerley

CKinnerley

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1729 posts
I wouldn't use the PTS EMAGs, it might just be me that's unlucky with my particular rifle, but my EMAGs just fall right out if you so much as look at the mag catch, lost one the first time I took it to a game. Ironically, though they are tough to insert, my old style PTS PMAGs (120 round, non M-version) are a lot more secure.

Airsoft-Ed

Airsoft-Ed

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4442 posts

WE Glock 17 Gen4

Visited: The Stan, Anzio, The Asylum, Brit-Tac Woodland, Tac-House, Free Fire Zone, Welbeck Academy, the list grows.
Know of any STANAG style mags that are compatible? I'm not a fan of EMags, or many things Magpul for that matter.

Need AEG parts? Click here >> Major Airsoft! << Discount code Bullet4MyEnemy for 10% off. 

Nickona

Nickona

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2454 posts

• Guns: Vektor R4
    Vektor Z88
    P226R

• Loadouts: African Merc
    SADF Infantry
    SADF Recce
    SANDF
    In progress:
    Rhodesian Army
    SANDF MONUSCO

• Sites: Xsite Lane End
    RIFT Com's Site 3
    IronSight Airsoft
you can buy specific mags for the ares L85 they might work

If you need a team or any patch deigns.. drop me a PM!!

Fire Team Zulu
Find us on FaceBook - Fire Team Zulu Airsoft
And our YouTube Channel

Airsoft-Ed

Airsoft-Ed

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4442 posts

WE Glock 17 Gen4

Finius has said that he uses Ares L85 mid caps and they work fine, but I can't find anywhere that sells them in sets of 5/6/8/10 and to buy individually they're around 15 =/

So I'm trying to find a box set that I know will work. MAG have box sets and so do G&P, though the G&P ones are just a tad expensive..

There are Ares L85 low caps, which I may have to resort to using, I imagine they'll be exactly the same as mids but with a shorter spring in them?
But I'd rather have mids, as using a 30 round mag in an AEG will actually only get you 26 shots and I'm picky about stuff like that and I've been told it would be hard/impossible to load real caps with the needed 34 shots in order for it to fire 30.

If anyone can stand against that then please do, as I'll then happily buy the low caps and stop bothering to look for mids and ask compatibility questions lol.

Hubert

Hubert

AF-UK Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

• Guns: Currently playing with:
    Walther PPK & P99 with suppressor, SIG-Sauer P228
    W.E. L85 & SUSAT

• Loadouts: FBI/ NYPD Detective.
    Generic soldier 2007+
I've checked my mags after that PM I sent you...

My one and only STANAG mid-cap is a MAG type, 90 rounder. Locks in very snuggly (it's a tighter fit than my ICS supplied magazines...), but, as I said in the PM - it only fires about 3/4 of it's load.
This could be because I got it second hand, or because my LSW doesn't like it. As I only have the one, and have only used it in my modified LSW, I can't say that it's an accurate test.
Never fired it from my L86 Carbine.

EMAGs work fine (and in my mind look amazing), but are a bit on the lose side - really need to be seated firmly to make sure they feed properly - but, they have yet to fall out.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt: run in little circles, wave your arms and shout
- Parody of the Litany of Command, popular with Commissar cadets.

Airsoft-Ed

Airsoft-Ed

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4442 posts

WE Glock 17 Gen4

Cheers Hubert,

I don't suppose you could do me a massive favour and confirm the state of the spring in the MAG mag you have?

I'm not entirely sure how I'd personally go about doing it, but if you look into the feeding lips and the spring doesn't reach them when the mag's empty then it's probably a weak spring.

Alternately, you can take the spring out of the mags with a little twist latch on the bottom, just turn it 90 degrees and the spring will just slide out, I'm not sure how easy it'll be to tell whether it's worn or not but could you have a go?

8 mid caps would be much better than 10 lows and these MAG ones seem like an alright deal.

The only thing that puts me off is that they look like the exact same design as the ones I got from Nick...

CKinnerley

CKinnerley

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1729 posts
2 companies can take the exact same schematic and produce 2 very different end products. I'd imagine there's quite a lot of companies producing the very same design of 100/120 round midcap STANAG mag, but the materials used, the tolerances your moulds are made to, skill of the factory workers, QC procedures.. all vary quite a lot between brands.

I used MAG 120 rounders exclusively for about 2 years when I first started out, up until I got my PMAGs, served me extremely well. Reliable, light, uncomplicated, resilient and most importantly of course, cheap. I had a try just now and they do fit my ICS A2 quite nicely, not had a chance to test fire though unfortunately.

Airsoft-Ed

Airsoft-Ed

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4442 posts

WE Glock 17 Gen4

Would you mind checking they feed alright when you've got a spare minute? I'd really appreciate knowing they work.

CKinnerley

CKinnerley

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1729 posts
I do have a slight issue in that I'm entirely lacking my inner barrel right now, so I'll need to have a little think before I potentially mess up my hop unit or something. But if I can give them a test, then I shall.

Finius

Finius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
My ICS L85 will take what I tell it to take.

It also takes ARES mags - metal and plastic, TM mags, MAG mags, ICS mags, CA metal mags, ACM mags and Magpul E-mags.

The only mags I have tested in it that don't work are KA mags, but the mags I tried were naff anyways.

Airsoft-Ed

Airsoft-Ed

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4442 posts

WE Glock 17 Gen4

Right, awesome.

MAG mid caps it is then.

I shall let you know how angry I am with you all when they arrive and don't work lol. Just kidding.

Cheers for the help.

Nickona

Nickona

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2454 posts

Vektor Z88
    P226R

SADF Infantry
    SADF Recce
    SANDF
    In progress:
    Rhodesian Army
    SANDF MONUSCO

RIFT Com's Site 3
    IronSight Airsoft
I've been looking for some MAG M4 mags but can't find them, does anyone know where to get them?

Fire Team Zulu
And our YouTube Channel

CKinnerley

CKinnerley

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1729 posts
Not sure about the UK. WGC and eHobby definitely should, probably most of the HK retailers really, maybe ebay banned as well.

Nickona

Nickona

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2454 posts

Vektor Z88
    P226R

SADF Infantry
    SADF Recce
    SANDF
    In progress:
    Rhodesian Army
    SANDF MONUSCO

RIFT Com's Site 3
    IronSight Airsoft
whats shipping like from these places? also would ASG fit ICS?

Fire Team Zulu
And our YouTube Channel

Airsoft-Ed

Airsoft-Ed

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4442 posts

WE Glock 17 Gen4

Nick the ones I'm getting are on Airsoftsupplydrop, but don't buy the last set >:-( lol.

Nickona

Nickona

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2454 posts

Vektor Z88
    P226R

SADF Infantry
    SADF Recce
    SANDF
    In progress:
    Rhodesian Army
    SANDF MONUSCO

RIFT Com's Site 3
    IronSight Airsoft

Nick the ones I'm getting are on Airsoftsupplydrop, but don't buy the last set >:-( lol.

haha you best be quick :D dw it says 3 in stock and i might get the OD ones and A-TACS them

Fire Team Zulu
And our YouTube Channel

Airsoft-Ed

Airsoft-Ed

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4442 posts

WE Glock 17 Gen4

Just ordered some Nick, so no worries.

Also just got an email saying that the twist barrel I've ordered is out of stock <_<

Does anyone know where I can get a 509/510mm TK hop twist barrel?

I've heard rumours they've been discontinued but can't find anything concrete... Anyone know anything?

Airsoft-Ed

Airsoft-Ed

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4442 posts

WE Glock 17 Gen4

Mags just arrived.

They feed flawlessly :3 thanks go out to Finius for confirming they work before I ordered them.
They're a quite horrible shade of grey though, it's sort of metallic looking and literally every inch of them is exactly the same colour, I thought there'd be a degree of variation on the top and bottom or something, they look seriously horrible until they're sat in the gun.
But they work fine in my M16 as well, plus I already had two working mid caps, so I now have 10 mags =D

So that's the mag question out of the way. MAG M16 mid cap mags fit and feed, confirmed by me.
According to Finius and Zero One, Ares L85 mid and low cap mags fit and feed.
ICS hi-caps fit and feed perfectly, the gun comes with two, again confirmed by me.

Anyone know of any others with 100% certainty?

I've ordered an L96 AWS barrel for the TM for my L85 too, I think I might live to regret it, but only time will tell.
Does anyone know for sure that it will/won't work? The L85 barrel just seems to slip into the assembly, there's very little in the way of a retention mechanism it just seems to sit there from raw compressed friction-y-ness, so I don't see it not staying in, it's just the hop cut that's worrying me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users