Welcome to Airsoft Forums UK
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Member Again

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Top Cat

Top Cat

AF-UK Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi All,

Just saying hi. I'm an ex-Infanteer who has (having spent a long time doing nothing militaristic) recently thought about the prospect of picking up a rifle and coming out to spend my weekends running around a field shooting at other people. It is fun, and I think we all agree on that, and so I thought I'd come on here and also get an eye for what the airsoft world is like and whether it's worth me investing some money and taking it up. I really need a hobby, being honest, and this seems like a reasonable way to enjoy some times of old again and meet some new people and generally have a good laugh.

So... Hi.

T.C
Casual Browser.
Ex-Infantry and considering Airsoft as a fun sport and revisit to cold wet afternoons in a field.
Be nice to me and I might join in!
----------------------------------------
Also selling a Peli 1660 in Olive Drab paint job. Ideal for transporting your team's weapons and kit securely and with the ultimate protection to the kit. Completely waterproof and abuse-proof. http://www.airsoft-f...8005#entry55273

mark2191

mark2191

AF-UK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

• Guns: s&w shotgun
    ics m4
    m4/m15 variant
    g36c
    ca mp5 sd3
    l85 a2 (upgraded)

• Loadouts: lots and lots (ex army)
welcome to the forum mate, where about's are you from?

MZKaleem

MZKaleem

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

• Guns: ICS L85, ICS M4, CYMA AK105, TM G36c, A&K M249 Para, WE MP5A5, FNX .45, KJW P226.

• Loadouts: UK Police and Contemporary British Army kit.

• Sites: Gunman Eversley
    Red 1 Airsoft - The School
    Reforger Airsoft
    The Mall
Welcome aboard! really, the only way you can see whether you want to spend money...is by actually trying it out. Most places have guns available to rent at a specific price.
Check on the Airbana map for sites and shops in your area :) That may help narrow things down!

It's ares, it'll be ok...

for 5 minutes :lol:

Posted Image

Nickona

Nickona

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2454 posts

• Guns: Vektor R4
    Vektor Z88
    P226R

• Loadouts: African Merc
    SADF Infantry
    SADF Recce
    SANDF
    In progress:
    Rhodesian Army
    SANDF MONUSCO

• Sites: Xsite Lane End
    RIFT Com's Site 3
    IronSight Airsoft
Welcome, any questions please ask!

If you need a team or any patch deigns.. drop me a PM!!

Fire Team Zulu
Find us on FaceBook - Fire Team Zulu Airsoft
And our YouTube Channel

Devastator

Devastator

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4298 posts
Welcome to the forums :)

M_P

M_P

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7085 posts
Welcome to afuk :)

Top Cat

Top Cat

AF-UK Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So what's the crack with joining a team? Are there many and what's the easiest way to find them?

I have done extensive sniper training in the past, is it worth me grabbing something of that orientation to put my previous skills to best use? I feel inclined to do so, but I don't want to come across as treading on toes or anything like that, you know.
Casual Browser.
Ex-Infantry and considering Airsoft as a fun sport and revisit to cold wet afternoons in a field.
Also selling a Peli 1660 in Olive Drab paint job. Ideal for transporting your team's weapons and kit securely and with the ultimate protection to the kit. Completely waterproof and abuse-proof. http://www.airsoft-f...8005#entry55273

Nickona

Nickona

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2454 posts

Vektor Z88
    P226R

SADF Infantry
    SADF Recce
    SANDF
    In progress:
    Rhodesian Army
    SANDF MONUSCO

RIFT Com's Site 3
    IronSight Airsoft

So what's the crack with joining a team? Are there many and what's the easiest way to find them?

I have done extensive sniper training in the past, is it worth me grabbing something of that orientation to put my previous skills to best use? I feel inclined to do so, but I don't want to come across as treading on toes or anything like that, you know.

when it comes to teams you can do little searching but most of the ones you'll find will be big teams only interested in pros
what I suggest is finding a site you like, go there a lot and normally you'll just come accross one, thats what i did :D

Fire Team Zulu
And our YouTube Channel

Top Cat

Top Cat

AF-UK Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

when it comes to teams you can do little searching but most of the ones you'll find will be big teams only interested in pros
what I suggest is finding a site you like, go there a lot and normally you'll just come accross one, thats what i did :D

Where in Oxfordshire are you buddy? I'm also here!

The reason I bought teams up is I'm not a driver so it'd be nice to find somebody to buddy up with on the transport front, as I figured airsoft sites will be largely in the middle of nowhere.
Casual Browser.

Nickona

Nickona

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2454 posts

Vektor Z88
    P226R

SADF Infantry
    SADF Recce
    SANDF
    In progress:
    Rhodesian Army
    SANDF MONUSCO

RIFT Com's Site 3
    IronSight Airsoft

Where in Oxfordshire are you buddy? I'm also here!

The reason I bought teams up is I'm not a driver so it'd be nice to find somebody to buddy up with on the transport front, as I figured airsoft sites will be largely in the middle of nowhere.

I'm south oxfordshire, I play at a place in Winchester but mainly a place in High Wycombe call Xsite
I'm also a non driver but would be nice to meet up woth someone

Fire Team Zulu
And our YouTube Channel

Top Cat

Top Cat

AF-UK Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I'm south oxfordshire, I play at a place in Winchester but mainly a place in High Wycombe call Xsite
I'm also a non driver but would be nice to meet up woth someone

South Oxfordshire too. How do you travel?

I'm just looking about, I'm not sure about all this. It seems to be a rather expensive hobby. (But then again what isn't?)

If it's going to be 40 odd for the day including hire, 20 on transport, 10 for food on site... even at once a month it's going to be 1000 a year and I don't know if I can justify it for a game of soldiers. Then getting serious about it is going to mean a 500 worth of kit, maybe more... it's all a bit pricey and whilst I genuinely like the idea of it I'm just not sure about that aspect.
Casual Browser.

M_P

M_P

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7085 posts
Best thing to do is only hire for 3 games and then get your own gun, its much cheaper, and most good sites include free food in the entrance fee. Getting started can be costly but after that It's as expensive as you make it, 20 a time isn't too bad, just play once or twice a month and that can help keep costs down :)

Sniping is VERY expensive though so that probably isn't the root for you ;)

Top Cat

Top Cat

AF-UK Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Best thing to do is only hire for 3 games and then get your own gun, its much cheaper, and most good sites include free food in the entrance fee. Getting started can be costly but after that It's as expensive as you make it, 20 a time isn't too bad, just play once or twice a month and that can help keep costs down :)

And how much is that going to cost me?

I assume the upshot of not being part of a recognised team is that I can wear whatever... well that's one cost saved. But the guns? How much am I looking to spend on a first one, with everything it needs? I'm happy to buy used off the classifieds or whatever.

Sniping is VERY expensive though so that probably isn't the root for you ;)

I was just looking this up. I read that airsoft weapons seldom shoot more than 50m anyway. If airsoft engagements all take place at about 50m, is there any real purpose for snipers? Or do they end up somewhat disadvantaged by a cumbersome weapon that is difficult to use in close quarters?

As I said previously I did train a lot in it, but we were engaging targets at in excess of 600m. If everything is going to be CQB I'm not sure I understand the purpose of snipers in an airsoft environment, why not just combine something like a G3 or an M14 with an ACOG and a good eye and you have something fit for both worlds?
Casual Browser.

Nickona

Nickona

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2454 posts

Vektor Z88
    P226R

SADF Infantry
    SADF Recce
    SANDF
    In progress:
    Rhodesian Army
    SANDF MONUSCO

RIFT Com's Site 3
    IronSight Airsoft
for the prices etc. at Xsite its 45 to hire but that include lunch, gun, bbs, etc from then it 20 walk on but lunch is also included
guns, for a half decent AEG you're looking 120-150 and clothing, have a look of the classifields as you'll be able to pick up some cheap webbing or clothing but DPM is only 10 in a surplus store

oh and so far airsoft has been a lot cheaper then Downhill Biking which is used to do

where abouts in S. oxon are you? also I normally go with someone

Fire Team Zulu
And our YouTube Channel

Airsoft-Ed

Airsoft-Ed

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4442 posts

• Guns: WE L85A2
    WE Glock 17 Gen4

• Loadouts: Contemporary British Army,
    Light weight belt set up,
    CBA Loadout (Jeans, hoody etc.)

• Sites: Regular site: Skirmish Airsoft, Mansfield.
    Visited: The Stan, Anzio, The Asylum, Brit-Tac Woodland, Tac-House, Free Fire Zone, Welbeck Academy, the list grows.
    See my YouTube channel for footage.
I think it's worth pointing out that sniping in Airsofting is vastly different from sniping in real life.

You won't be able to just buy a sniper, you'll have to buy a lot of parts and work on it to make it good, at the back end of 500 you'll be able to hit a man at around 50-70m with one shot, or so I'm told, sniper rifles are quieter but stealth is still a key as the ranges are obviously a lot shorter than real sniping.

But as above, if you're hiding in a bush 70m away it's unlikely an AEG player will be able to touch you so much as see you, unless they've really gone to town on their kit.

But on top of a highly upgraded rifle you'd also be looking at more expensive heavier ammo etc, it all really adds up.

As people have said, go and hire a few times at around 40 a time, catch the bug and then you'll live and breathe to buy the next bit for your kit lol.

Need AEG parts? Click here >> Major Airsoft! << Discount code Bullet4MyEnemy for 10% off. 

Find me on YouTube: Bullet4MyEnemy
forumfinal_zps326d20e3.jpg

Airsoft News & Review site: www.AirsoftOperator.com

M_P

M_P

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7085 posts
The best thing to do for you probably is to play as aa marksman. Use a designated marksman rifle
Basically a semi auto assault rifle with greater range and accuracy- and m14/g3/slr/fal style rifle, you can still engage at long ranges but also be versatile enough to work in cqb

Nickona

Nickona

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2454 posts

Vektor Z88
    P226R

SADF Infantry
    SADF Recce
    SANDF
    In progress:
    Rhodesian Army
    SANDF MONUSCO

RIFT Com's Site 3
    IronSight Airsoft

The best thing to do for you probably is to play as aa marksman. Use a designated marksman rifle
Basically a semi auto assault rifle with greater range and accuracy- and m14/g3/slr/fal style rifle, you can still engage at long ranges but also be versatile enough to work in cqb

Thats a good idea but will have to get a good one or there isn't much point.

If i see you at Xsite after xmas (guns broke ATM) I can talk through it all with you

Nick

Fire Team Zulu
And our YouTube Channel

M_P

M_P

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7085 posts
Tm m14 and a spare mag, job done ;)

Nickona

Nickona

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2454 posts

Vektor Z88
    P226R

SADF Infantry
    SADF Recce
    SANDF
    In progress:
    Rhodesian Army
    SANDF MONUSCO

RIFT Com's Site 3
    IronSight Airsoft

Tm m14 and a spare mag, job done ;)

the price of that is........

Fire Team Zulu
And our YouTube Channel

Top Cat

Top Cat

AF-UK Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I don't mean any offence by this and it's a genuine concern that I don't want so I thought I would ask the genuine question...

Doesn't this all just seem a bit like... sad?

I'm just getting the feeling it's a bit like a cross between paintball and model railways. Paintball to the extent of running around a field on a saturday afternoon shooting non-lethal ammunition at each other ( :D ) but model railways to the extent of getting all fussy about which gun goes with what ( :mellow: ).

I have done paintball and I do quite like the idea of paintball with a bit more co-ordination and tactics, rather than everyone running around shooting anything that moves. But I don't want to get dragged down into something a bit political where the fun of playing the game is hidden away amongst people arguing about which assault vest you have or what pattern of camo. Because all that stuff, I really couldn't care less.

And on the gun front... does it really matter what you buy, at 50m? If you can't shoot at 50m you can't shoot.
Casual Browser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users