Welcome to Airsoft Forums UK
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Well L96 Internal Upgrades

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

chainsawsquirrel

chainsawsquirrel

AF-UK Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

• Guns: m56c shotgun

• Loadouts: have yet to play airsoft, but have had reasonable experience in paintball.

• Sites: awa

TM L96 isn't great. Although plenty of parts from PDi and Laylax are available,and some VSR parts are compatible,The feeding mech is fragile and you have to be gentle when cycling the bolt,feeding problems are also common,BBs get scratched by it, and don';t get inserted into the chamber properly.

That said,Build quality feels rock solid and the hop up unit is a tad better than the VSR 10,metals used are good quality.  It's a good gun but lt's down by the not-great feeding system and the metric arse ton of screws making disassembly a pain in the arse.

Still better than Are's system though.

If you want an easy to upgrade base a TM VSR or WELL L96 V3 are the best options,easier to take down and work on(Especially the VSR)  which is crucial as you will find yourself opening and closing the gun very often to test compression and shiet.

TM L96 isn't great. Although plenty of parts from PDi and Laylax are available,and some VSR parts are compatible,The feeding mech is fragile and you have to be gentle when cycling the bolt,feeding problems are also common,BBs get scratched by it, and don';t get inserted into the chamber properly.

That said,Build quality feels rock solid and the hop up unit is a tad better than the VSR 10,metals used are good quality.  It's a good gun but lt's down by the not-great feeding system and the metric arse ton of screws making disassembly a pain in the arse.

Still better than Are's system though.

If you want an easy to upgrade base a TM VSR or WELL L96 V3 are the best options,easier to take down and work on(Especially the VSR)  which is crucial as you will find yourself opening and closing the gun very often to test compression and shiet.

i don't really have the budget for upgrading something like a well l96 to what i'd want it to be like :/ i'm sure I could give fixing the feeding mechanism a go if it breaks on me, I've almost always been able to fix my stuff, even repaired a shattered rc helicopter rotorblade with out compromising the stability of it in air. and i'm cool with the amount of screws, i'm only gonna be changing the bolt and maybe the piston sear anyway. tbh, I think as long as u keep the piston sear well lubricated, I see no reason why it should wear down. as for cycling the bolt, again, I can deal with that. I think it's better to be gentle when reloading the bolt regardless since u don't want people to hear you making lots of noise reloading, making u easy to find do u? I can see that i'm making sacrifices by having to deal with an excessive number of screws and risking buying a gun with a dodgy feeding mechanism, but it's still more worth it to me than buying and upgrading a well l96 tbh, plus u get higher mag capacity and easy adjusting hop up, plus an over all more solid build.

dazz

dazz

AF-UK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

My two pence worth....

Assuming you want your L96 based rifle to be firing close to 500fps as possible...

You'll end up spend around the same on a Well L96 and the TM L96.

With the TM L96 AWS, currently, the best option (if i do say so myself) is to go down the PDI route. So, sears, piston, spring guide and spring. However the PDI springs usually hit around 440-450 fps. I've not come accross a spring from PDI for the AWS which is stronger. Also, i've had issues when istalling PDI springs that they prevent the piston catching so be warned. To get the extra fps usually a tb barrel is also required to bump nearer to 500. This is with ptfe wrapping the cylinder head and hop bucking onto barrel. The point i'm making is PDI barrels are fecking expensive. The good thing about the TM AWS is the hop units. These rifles are very accurate even in stock form. The feeding mechanism is shite so be careful when taking the rifle apart.

Well L96s are powerful in stock form but 7 times out of 10 have very shite accuracy. The cylinders are also weak and always need replacing. Other than that, both rifles will need the usual doing... sears (or whole trigger) spring guide, spring, piston. Fo the Well L96 youy have two options when improving the hop... replace the hop lever for a metal one OR replace the whole hop unit and barrel.

If you add up the costs of both upgrade routes they come out around the same.

However once upgraded, the Well L96 is far more reliable albeit the mag is not in the correct place as per real steel.

chainsawsquirrel

chainsawsquirrel

AF-UK Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

• Loadouts: have yet to play airsoft, but have had reasonable experience in paintball.

My two pence worth....

Assuming you want your L96 based rifle to be firing close to 500fps as possible...

You'll end up spend around the same on a Well L96 and the TM L96.

With the TM L96 AWS, currently, the best option (if i do say so myself) is to go down the PDI route. So, sears, piston, spring guide and spring. However the PDI springs usually hit around 440-450 fps. I've not come accross a spring from PDI for the AWS which is stronger. Also, i've had issues when istalling PDI springs that they prevent the piston catching so be warned. To get the extra fps usually a tb barrel is also required to bump nearer to 500. This is with ptfe wrapping the cylinder head and hop bucking onto barrel. The point i'm making is PDI barrels are fecking expensive. The good thing about the TM AWS is the hop units. These rifles are very accurate even in stock form. The feeding mechanism is shite so be careful when taking the rifle apart.

Well L96s are powerful in stock form but 7 times out of 10 have very shite accuracy. The cylinders are also weak and always need replacing. Other than that, both rifles will need the usual doing... sears (or whole trigger) spring guide, spring, piston. Fo the Well L96 youy have two options when improving the hop... replace the hop lever for a metal one OR replace the whole hop unit and barrel.

If you add up the costs of both upgrade routes they come out around the same.

However once upgraded, the Well L96 is far more reliable albeit the mag is not in the correct place as per real steel.

well, I got my TM l96 a while ago now, I bought a new spring (said to give 440-450 fps), reinforced steel piston seer, aluminium piston & steel spring guide all from ASPUK, although I haven't installed the spring atm coz the other parts haven't arrived yet. As for the hop up arm, I suppose i'll deal with that when I have the money.

I didn't buy the Well l96 because as u said, the cylinder needs replacing and I totalled the costs of upgrading it to make it accurate AND the essential upgrades to stop it breaking, it came to about £400+ including the scope.

for the TM l96, I haven't needed to upgrade the accuracy, as u say, it's very accurate even in stock form, so i'm just doing essential upgrades for it+new spring. I don't want it to exceed 500fps because of the FPS limits at my local airsoft site. Atm, the cost of the TM l96 and it's upgrades and BB's including the scope has come to £348, so it is cheaper to do the TM l96 route believe it or not.

Either way tho, which ever was cheaper, it's too late to turn back anyway. I have no complaints about the TM l96, the feeding mech seems fine to me, although it is somewhat complex, but I've never had a miss-feed with it. The only problem was opening the damn cylinder which had a threadlock on the cylinder had which I had to drill out, and I had to drill an extra hole in the cylinder head to unscrew it since it only has the one hole.

Suzuki Yamamoto

Suzuki Yamamoto

AF-UK Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

• Guns: G&G Top Tech TR15 Raider L
    KWA USP Compact

• Loadouts: Black spec ops
    Digital DPM woodland
    PMC

• Sites: Dragons Lair Airsoft, Brentwood, Essex
    Bunker 51)
    Blitz CQB
    Airsoft Billericay
    Apocalypse Airsoft
    Any where that I can get to via public transport!

The TM L96 costs more to buy than the Well L96, so despite spending a little more upgrading the Well L96 you've actually spent around the same amount regardless of which rifle you choose once you combine the purchase price with the upgrade costs.

End of the day it just comes down to personal preference.

"A military operation involves deception. Even though you are competent, appear to be incompetent. Though effective, appear to be ineffective" - Sun Tzu's The Art of War.

zI0Ukub.jpg

chainsawsquirrel

chainsawsquirrel

AF-UK Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

well when u put it that way, the only advantages the TM l96 has is the hop up adjuster & the mag size. better some than none tho

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users