Welcome to Airsoft Forums UK
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dead Sale Items

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

magicaldr

magicaldr

AF-UK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

• Guns: TM: P90, G3 & MP5
    SRC: G36K
    ASG: Franchi SAS 12

Browning HP
    WE PX4

• Loadouts: 1980's British Special Forces
    5.11 Tactical / Black CQB / SO19
    Tiger Stripe

• Sites: Airsoft Adventures: Chobham
    Tactical Warfare Airsoft: Croydon
Hi, I have read the various ideas for the sales section, and I understand your notes that you want more chat and less sales. That said it was the sales section I originally found, followed by the airsoft sites finder, followed by chatter and I plan to be here for some time. So I would suggest sales is not distracting from the rest, even though you get a lot of 1 post wonders it also helps drive hits of which some will stay.

To make sales a little easier for the browser I had a couple of suggestions on things that niggle me:

Sold / Dead forum
Rather than locking the thread after a sale. move it to a Sold/Dead Sales forum. Saves old stuff being moved right to the top of the active forum just because it closes. Yes I should spot the padlock, but more than once read a dead post :)

Expiry Dates
Lock off all threads 6 weeks after opening, sold or not to avoid old threads coming back up. Its too easy not to spot the add is 3 months (or much more) old and start sending PM / email or reply.

Hopefully useful ideas, if even for the future.

Memberships?
One other option you may consider following on your line of wanting to avoid 1 hit wonder sales would be only allowing adverts to be placed by those with a membership, say 5 a year or something. Number of non airsoft sites I been a menmber of over time had this sort of model. Of course you want widest possible purchase audience, so allow everyone read access but restrict 'write' or new thread in sales area.

Has the potential to help keep your hosting costs in check as well as ensuring you have some comeback on feedback since this would allow a record of a persons address / real name as part of membership. Would not be perfect, but may help.

Sorry last idea came to me while typing, so have not read around it. Apologies if it or above already suggested somewhere else or I just missed membership somewhere.

MZKaleem

MZKaleem

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

• Guns: ICS L85, ICS M4, CYMA AK105, TM G36c, A&K M249 Para, WE MP5A5, FNX .45, KJW P226.

• Loadouts: UK Police and Contemporary British Army kit.

• Sites: Gunman Eversley
    Red 1 Airsoft - The School
    Reforger Airsoft
    The Mall

Expiry Dates
Lock off all threads 6 weeks after opening, sold or not to avoid old threads coming back up. Its too easy not to spot the add is 3 months (or much more) old and start sending PM / email or reply.

but sometimes these games that people play might be left there? and then just as some one comes back to play it..Locked? idk just a thought about your thought

-Zakaria

It's ares, it'll be ok...

for 5 minutes :lol:

Posted Image

Devastator

Devastator

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4298 posts

Sold / Dead forum
Rather than locking the thread after a sale. move it to a Sold/Dead Sales forum. Saves old stuff being moved right to the top of the active forum just because it closes. Yes I should spot the padlock, but more than once read a dead post :)

I don't wish to create a whole new forum just to bung old threads in as I feel it's like wasted space. Perhaps we could add a (CLOSED) tag to the topic title?

Expiry Dates

Whilst I have thought about doing this before it could end up being more hassle having to re-open threads than it currently is to close the odd thread which is clearly dead. Sometimes human judgement is best.

Memberships?
One other option you may consider following on your line of wanting to avoid 1 hit wonder sales would be only allowing adverts to be placed by those with a membership, say 5 a year or something. Number of non airsoft sites I been a menmber of over time had this sort of model. Of course you want widest possible purchase audience, so allow everyone read access but restrict 'write' or new thread in sales area.

Has the potential to help keep your hosting costs in check as well as ensuring you have some comeback on feedback since this would allow a record of a persons address / real name as part of membership. Would not be perfect, but may help.

Again something we have thought about (not publicly) but with competition offering a free place to sell their items we'd lose any edge we have with people currently coming here. Until we are the biggest airsoft forum in existence, any 'pay-to-do-something-you-could-do-free-elsewhere' will kill us off I'm afraid.

As ever we appreciate your ideas, and even if we reject them we want you to keep giving them to us. We can't implement everything and we have to be very careful about keeping things right so that we continue to grow.

magicaldr

magicaldr

AF-UK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

• Guns: TM: P90, G3 & MP5
    SRC: G36K
    ASG: Franchi SAS 12

Browning HP
    WE PX4

• Loadouts: 1980's British Special Forces
    5.11 Tactical / Black CQB / SO19
    Tiger Stripe

• Sites: Airsoft Adventures: Chobham
    Tactical Warfare Airsoft: Croydon
Thanks for coming back, adding CLOSED to headers would be helpful for blind as bat peeps like me. Understand your views on the others.

Maybe adding in date raised to the header would also help people see how old things are as otherwise you only see the 'last modified' date? So something like:

June 11 - Original Title...

or

CLOSED - Original Title

Depending on active or dead?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users