Welcome to Airsoft Forums UK
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tidying up the members!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Cyrax

Cyrax

AF-UK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

• Guns: TM G36C
    TM M16 A2
    TM Sig 552
    TM G-Spec
    KJW P226
You get the idea from the title.

I find this on all forums, and its not a big issue, but i only see up to what.. 30 members posting regularly? And yet there are 144 pages of people, and "people celebrating birthdays" who havent logged on since May or December 2010?

Obviously there is a chance that people will come back, but would it be worth sending out emails to long-inactive accounts saying "The community is growing and we would love to see you again!" or something, and then that would get hits up and more members posting, and if a few months after that still nothing, or the email account no longer exists, delete it?

I dont know if it would speed things up or free up web space or anything helpful like that. And if its not detrimental then i guess theres no need to fix it.

Just one of those things that i never understand!

M_P

M_P

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7085 posts
I agree with this, we only have a small amount of regulars.
But the thing is, i reckon 140, of those 144 pages only joined to sell stuff

Devastator

Devastator

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4298 posts
I can't see your point if I'm honest. It doesn't hurt us to have them there* even if not every single one of them is here and active. If anything it helps to show that we have had that many register. If we were to do the above then we'd never actually know how many people had ever registered. The time it would take to sift through near 3,000 accounts would also be very high.

As for the emails it is a great idea as you say. We don't like to send more than we have to though as most find that kind of email an annoyance. I think we have the balance right with 2/3 per year.

*Can understand where you were coming from on web space. It isn't members what take up the space though. It is all the uploads of pictures etc (mostly people just using us for the classifieds unfortunately)

Cyrax

Cyrax

AF-UK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

TM M16 A2
    TM Sig 552
    TM G-Spec
    KJW P226
Thats cool Dev i dont know anything about how a forum works behind the scenes. I thought it might be beneficial but if not then its a mute point, and i wasnt aware you already did emails.

Thanks for replying anywho, now i know a bit more.

Finius

Finius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
With the classifieds taking up so much space, could you not delete closed threads after say, 180 days, to clear things out a bit?

Devastator

Devastator

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4298 posts
Again not really needed for the same reasons as above, I can remove uploads separately if I wish.

We don't like to delete ads as other people can use them as price guides. Although 180 days is a long time if there was a dispute, however unlikely it might be, it wouldn't be great if we had removed the original ad which stated the condition of the gun etc etc.

Cyrax

Cyrax

AF-UK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

TM M16 A2
    TM Sig 552
    TM G-Spec
    KJW P226
Can people remove their own adds? I swear i did a search, a few ads came up that were no longer there? Just took me to the main classifieds listings.

Maybe in a few years when airsoft is a national professional sport, the players raking in the thousands, you may need a tidy up protocol ;)

Devastator

Devastator

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4298 posts
I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it :P

I am aware members can delete their own posts, so they may be able to delete their own topics. I'm unsure without looking.

We do delete topics, but it is very rare, I guess you must have just found a few ;)

M_P

M_P

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7085 posts
No, we can delete posts but not our topics ;)

Devastator

Devastator

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4298 posts
That's how we want it then really. We don't want information removed from the forum since that is what we are here for - as much as the original poster might disagree.

M_P

M_P

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7085 posts
I think its better that way too.
Just a thought, if this is not already in place (i dont know) but make it so the original poster cannot edit there OP in the sales sections

Devastator

Devastator

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4298 posts
I don't think we have the ability to do that. It also means lots of work for us if they forget to put something in or want to fix typos etc.

M_P

M_P

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7085 posts
fair enough then, I just thought It could reduce scams etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users