Welcome to Airsoft Forums UK
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Favourite weapons

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Rock-climby-Dave

Rock-climby-Dave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2374 posts
I really don't see the aversion to magpul - or 'fagpul' as so many people have eloquently put it - products. I'm not a magpul fanboy by any means, but they really aren't bad.

Send the doctors home, I'll be doing the operating around here.

Resident Patrol Base Techy, any questions about PB, message me and I'll do my best to answer.

M_P

M_P

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7085 posts
It's not a hate for magpul as such,.it is.ergonomic and functional, especially in terms of rs.
But its when m4 get coated with tan magpul moe parts that it gets bad.
I have some magpul parts, the afg is extremely good, and the PMAGs are great however.

Finius

Finius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
My aversion to magpul is less about magpul and more about the obsession with it.

Right about now, it's almost impossible to find a decent second hand M4 that hasn't got some amount of magpul on it, everyone's going on about magpul products like they're the holy grail or something, when really, they're just average, especially in terms of airsoft.

In the real world, they offer small adjustments to the practicality of a weapon, which, in reality offers a small boost to the probability of survival for a soldier, which I am totally for. If painting rifles pink and giving every soldier a hello kitty tattoo would keep fifty more of our fighting men and women alive than would otherwise survive, then do it, but in airsoft, it's seems to me to be just brand obsession (a lot like mac-fanboyism).

Hubert

Hubert

AF-UK Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

• Guns: Currently playing with:
    Walther PPK & P99 with suppressor, SIG-Sauer P228
    W.E. L85 & SUSAT

• Loadouts: FBI/ NYPD Detective.
    Generic soldier 2007+
My view on Magpul is pretty similar to Finius.

Some of it - like E/PMAGs, are a very good idea. STANAG weapons, like the Aramlite and SA80 can't take the see-through plastic mags of the G36 & AUG (and previous STANAG experiments failed, as the plastics were either too brittle or bent). The plastic mags are useful because: a)they're light weight and b)the see-through ones show you how much ammo you have left.
The solution? Magpul make a very hard plastic mag, but put windows in it so you can see the ammunition. (Obviously this is still pointless in airsoft)

AFGs - are actually more comfortable to hold for long periods of time than the traditional vertical foregrip (due to blood flow and pins & needles and all that stuff). This can be of use in airsoft. But - unless you're a hardcore MilSimmer who is in a 48 hour, non-stop war-game, it's unlikely it'll actually have any major effects.

The rest of it? I can't see the point. People see the name 'Magpul' printed on something, and they go out and buy X-number of them, and bolt them on. Anything and everything, just so they can say "Yeah? Well, I have the angled-folding Magpul toothbrush holder on my M4!" You're playing airsoft. I'm all for realistic loadouts and MilSimm - but some of the Magpul'd M4s have more stuff on them than the real thing would!
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt: run in little circles, wave your arms and shout
- Parody of the Litany of Command, popular with Commissar cadets.

M_P

M_P

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7085 posts
I see your angled-folding Magpul toothbrush holder and raise you the magpul tactical kitchen sink, complete with tactical soap :P

But yeah, as said, more than half of their stuff is a waste of money, I mean fire selectors for the scars, what the point?

Hubert

Hubert

AF-UK Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

W.E. L85 & SUSAT

Generic soldier 2007+

But yeah, as said, more than half of their stuff is a waste of money, I mean fire selectors for the scars, what the point?

Que? :huh:
I don't quite follow. Are you trying to say Magpul have released a new, own brand fire selector for the SCAR? Real, airsoft or both?
I mean, if it was RS, there might be a genuine reason for it, and if its airsoft, perhaps the orrigional design breaks frequently and its just a modifcation like WE's reinforced L85 bolt and bolt-release catch

Which reminds me, I also like the SCAR-L, in black and grey :lol:
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt: run in little circles, wave your arms and shout

M_P

M_P

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7085 posts
Yeah they made fire sectors for the scar.

http://www.crw-airso...-gbb-2867-p.asp

I know quite a few people with vfc's and we's that have never had problems with.the fire selectors.
There, as far as I can see anyway, literally no point.

Nutster

Nutster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1117 posts

• Guns: Primary - ICS L119A1
    Secondary - TM P226
    - KWA G19

• Loadouts: Paraclete SOHPC/belt kit
    Crye UKSF ubacs
    Crye UKSF trousers
    Oakley boots
    Mechanix gloves

• Sites: MAW Melton Mowbray
iirc the scar selector was a rs thing, but can't remember the reason
*Edit*
And a quick look on the magpul website reveals this,
Designed at the request of a deploying military unit who wanted more positive control of the selector,

How do we get dev to appear, Rub a magic lamp ? :P

20362248004a9c0a9ee9e46.gif

https://instagram.com/hazeldine/

Hubert

Hubert

AF-UK Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

W.E. L85 & SUSAT

Generic soldier 2007+

iirc the scar selector was a rs thing, but can't remember the reason
*Edit*
And a quick look on the magpul website reveals this,
Designed at the request of a deploying military unit who wanted more positive control of the selector,

In that case, I understand. Basically, the people using it didn't like how it felt or responded, so Magpul made a better version. Fair enough! Something actually useful.

Cerbo Knight

Cerbo Knight

AF-UK Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

• Guns: Cyma/TM M14, WA M4, Tanaka M40, VFC Scar-L, WA 1911 Marsoc /w Prime kit, Shuey custom Glock17

• Loadouts: DPM
    OD RAV
The fire selector makes sense, so do all the magpul products.... In RS weapon systems.

As said before, half of it just doesn't warrant the hefty price tag that comes with it, and is just for comfort really. Though, I can't say I like the standard M4 pistol grip, and the magpul MOE grip is much more comfortable. I wouldn't have my entire rifle magpul'd, especially not tan and black. Speaking of which, I had to buy a tan CTR stock a few skirmishes back because they didn't have any black ones... If anyone wants a tan one I'm selling it ;) Shameless sale I know, but I want rid of it. It's the only tan item in my armoury and I don't want it to stay long! :D
Ask me about general tech problems, I'm happy to help most of the time ;) I'm decent with AEGs, but my speciality is snipers, that being AEG, spring and gas. I'm quite good with GBBR systems too, WA especially.

Ask me about your Tanaka/KJW bolt action problems!
Here's a link to my M40 takedown guide, works for M700's too!

'No.' - Yotsuba, 47:17

Mitchell Gee

Mitchell Gee

AF-UK Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

• Guns: VFC Mk.16 (SCAR-L)
    G&G GR16 (M4)
    HFC HG-185 (Glock 17)

• Loadouts: S95 BDU's
    5.11 VTAC Vest
    Hi-tech Fiftypeaks boots
Pistol: Glock 17
SMG: H&K MP5j
AR: H&K G36E
LMG: H&K MG36
Sniper Rifle: M95
SASS: H&K SL8

I am a bit of a H&K fanboy myself, and the glock comes from the fact that the armed response police use it... i am looking at getting a G36E or a MP5j soon :D
Formally 'BatHat'

I skirmish around the Reading to Watford area, Mainly Red 1 Skirmish and The Mall, PM me if you skirmish there :)

M_P

M_P

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7085 posts
In that case in wrong :P
I under stand magpul in rs terms but I just don't see the need in airsoft

G-Force

G-Force

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts
I like Magpul and I have a Masada - ACR to all the COD fans out there :P But I have it because I like the gun not because I worship Magpul. If you like Magpul go for it, but I get the feeling people are over using it to say the least. I like their products like the Pmags (which feed extremely well) and the pistol grips and foregrips are good. Most of their other products are very good but so bloody expensive and most of the time you can get a different make which looks just as good and peforms just as well.

Hopefully upgrading a broken m4 soon and I certianly won't be magpulising except maybe for a pistogrip. Its just so common now...
Saxon Airsoft's Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.c...ft?feature=mhee

M_P

M_P

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7085 posts
Masadas are fine, functional and very good, I just wish they werent so common

G-Force

G-Force

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts
They were rare when I had my first A&K one then Magpul made a better version which is the one I have now and every one got one.
Saxon Airsoft's Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.c...ft?feature=mhee

Rock-climby-Dave

Rock-climby-Dave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2374 posts
I'm contemplating making a 'magpul' rifle, with as much magpul on in as many different colours as possible, thoughts?

Send the doctors home, I'll be doing the operating around here.

Resident Patrol Base Techy, any questions about PB, message me and I'll do my best to answer.

Cerbo Knight

Cerbo Knight

AF-UK Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

• Guns: Cyma/TM M14, WA M4, Tanaka M40, VFC Scar-L, WA 1911 Marsoc /w Prime kit, Shuey custom Glock17

• Loadouts: DPM
    OD RAV
Eurgh.
Ask me about general tech problems, I'm happy to help most of the time ;) I'm decent with AEGs, but my speciality is snipers, that being AEG, spring and gas. I'm quite good with GBBR systems too, WA especially.

Ask me about your Tanaka/KJW bolt action problems!
Here's a link to my M40 takedown guide, works for M700's too!

'No.' - Yotsuba, 47:17

M_P

M_P

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7085 posts
Thats what puts me off them, too many people have them. That's why I'm gonna make a completely unique wood stock and pdi tornado fluted barrel for the bargain deal VSR I'm getting in 3 weeks.

Finius

Finius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts

I'm contemplating making a 'magpul' rifle, with as much magpul on in as many different colours as possible, thoughts?

I just started bleeding out of every orephace just thinking about it.

M_P

M_P

AF-UK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7085 posts
It would be ok in pink....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users