Welcome to Airsoft Forums UK
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Broken TM Aug, please help me figure!

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Rock-climby-Dave

Rock-climby-Dave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2373 posts
with the motors, If they are put through a lot of stress/get worn out naturally, they can short circuit inside.
Motors are a magnet with wire wrapped around them, the more wraps, the more power the motor has
if the insulation between the wires is melted the wires can touch and create a short circuit
this short means the current doesnt flow round all the wraps, effectivley removing them from the circuit
this gives the motor less power

if the motor jumps around when there is a current passed through it, it should still be able to pull the gears

touching the motor to the battery straight off shouldn't do any damage, the circuit is basically just a battery, motor and switch (as you have removed the fuse)

Send the doctors home, I'll be doing the operating around here.

Resident Patrol Base Techy, any questions about PB, message me and I'll do my best to answer.

Bluegill

Bluegill

AF-UK Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

• Guns: Classic Army M15A4, Tokyo Marui Military AUG

• Loadouts: British Woodland DPM Trousers, British Woodland DPM Jacket.
Thanks Devastator, I did look at that thread and then got distracted!

Dave,

In simple terms, what would you say is the easiest way to connect the battery to the motor to test it? Which wires?

Shall I remove the red wire currently attached to the motor and replace it with the fuse holder nearest the battery? Surely that'd complete the circuit?

Rock-climby-Dave

Rock-climby-Dave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2373 posts
don't need to replace it, you can probably just touch the fuse connector onto the motor conenctor, there should be just enough visible metal to touch them together.
and remember, if you are holding the motor, don't hold the 'spinny' end and if it works properly, It WILL want to jump out of your hand.

Resident Patrol Base Techy, any questions about PB, message me and I'll do my best to answer.

Bluegill

Bluegill

AF-UK Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Ok, I've not got high hopes for this motor though as I've already touched the two red wires (with white arrows) in the picture together and have just had no results. Not even a teeny blip. What's the score if the motor is gone? Buy a new motor?

S'pose (hope) it could be a dodgy wire!

REMSoft

REMSoft

AF-UK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

• Guns: TM Punisher MEU, TM G3, King Arms Blaser R93, CYMA RPK

• Sites: Apocalypse airsoft Detling
    Elite Battlezone

Ok, I've not got high hopes for this motor though as I've already touched the two red wires (with white arrows) in the picture together and have just had no results. Not even a teeny blip. What's the score if the motor is gone? Buy a new motor?

S'pose (hope) it could be a dodgy wire!

Hope so. Borrow an ammeter from someone.
QUOTE (PeteJC21 @ Oct 29 2011, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does it come with a pair of sunglasses?

If the guy was unarmed and you ended up putting him in a blender you'll get in trouble.

Bluegill

Bluegill

AF-UK Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

I'll do just that REM, cheers mate. I've not had a chance to put it back together yet but when I do, I'll report back.

Bluegill

Bluegill

AF-UK Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Right, well I've got the setup in front of me. Yet again I've spent ages trying to get a connection and wriggle the wires around to see if there are any loose connections/broken wires but I've got nothing.

I must admit, it's got me quite frustrated, should in theory be an easy thing to diagnose but doesn't seem to be!

My view is that due to me not getting anything at all out of the motor when connected, it's either

a) A broken motor, in which case I'll have to get a new one anyway so may aswell investigate b!

b ) A problem in the circuit that would require removing connectors and re-wiring...

Just seems it's hard to distinguish at this point if I'm wasting my time on trying to sort the circuit when it could just be the motor...

A little disheartened...

Nick

Rock-climby-Dave

Rock-climby-Dave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2373 posts
If ya can't diagnose, it is probably worth taking it to a shop

Bluegill

Bluegill

AF-UK Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

OMG the trigger assembly is RIDICULOUS on this gun! Oh how I wish it was simple!!! :D I can't even get it back together!

I'm going to bed, but will attempt more tomorrow.

I now see (and feel) why people that are new to airsoft look like idiots if they faff with mechboxes!

REMSoft

REMSoft

AF-UK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Elite Battlezone

OMG the trigger assembly is RIDICULOUS on this gun! Oh how I wish it was simple!!! :D I can't even get it back together!

I'm going to bed, but will attempt more tomorrow.

I now see (and feel) why people that are new to airsoft look like idiots if they faff with mechboxes!

Did you get the trigger system back together? I could take mine apart and demonstrate if necessary.

If the guy was unarmed and you ended up putting him in a blender you'll get in trouble.

Bluegill

Bluegill

AF-UK Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Would you mate, that'd be much appreciated!

Bluegill

Bluegill

AF-UK Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

I plan to rewire the gearbox this week (same configuration) and obviously that requires more wire!

What would be the best wire to use? I've read that both 16AWG & 18AWG are suitable but are there any variations in the types of these 2 gauges? What would be the best and sort of relatively affordable wire to go for?

Cheers

Devastator

Devastator

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4298 posts
Component shop stock wire of different gauges, as far as I'm aware there is no difference between wire of the same gauge.

If you check the current wire you should be able to see what AWG wire is currently being used (16/18) and I'd just go for the same again :)

Bluegill

Bluegill

AF-UK Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Cheers Dev, you've helped me in my seemingly impossible quest to fix this ###### thing :D

Cheers mate, I'll have a look!

I tell you what, this gun better be good when I'm done!!! :D

REMSoft

REMSoft

AF-UK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Elite Battlezone

Cheers Dev, you've helped me in my seemingly impossible quest to fix this ###### thing :D

Cheers mate, I'll have a look!

I tell you what, this gun better be good when I'm done!!! :D

If not, I'll be there to catch it when you throw it off of that building!

Bluegill

Bluegill

AF-UK Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

If not, I'll be there to catch it when you throw it off of that building!

Hahahaha you're just waiting for my failure!!!

I read the wires and they're Sanyo. All they say is <PS>E JET SANYO DENSEN VSF 2002.

lol, I was baffled by that. Had a look on component shop- going to get 2 metres of 16 & 2 metres of 18. It's a great price so can afford to try things!

You guys here are brilliant! Cheers!

Bluegill

Bluegill

AF-UK Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

A small update, for those who care :D

We got it together today and my mechbox is once again 'one' item rather than 2170459730497125 bits. It's still not working but we think it may be that I have the incorrect battery charger. It's a NiCd charger and my battery is a 8.4 NiMh :rolleyes: Stupid me, I just *assumed* that it'd be alright.

We tested various parts of the circuit and all of it was fine, even the circuit running through the motor. Might still be the motor.

Next test (and yet another question for you) will be to get myself a smart charger. Are there any decent but affordable ones about that you know of? If I can discount the battery then I'm finally at the knackered motor diagnosis.

Any help much appreciated!

Devastator

Devastator

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4298 posts
Again check component shop, cheapest one is 12.99

http://component-sho...t_chargers.html

Bluegill

Bluegill

AF-UK Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

I've gone one better Dev and bought the next one up with a little more power. Brill stuff, cheers mate.

Bluegill

Bluegill

AF-UK Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

It is with the utmost relief and mass thanks that I can now announce that I have one fully working Tokyo Marui Military AUG (Sorry REMsoft :lol: )

You guys are going to think I'm such a tool. You know what it was eventually?...

The battery not being charged...Yep, that's right.

I bought a new battery for it a while back and my charger had the 'charging' light lit up so I had assumed that the battery was charging, but it didn't have a cutoff feature so had just guessed when it may be charged. When (upon REMsoft's excellent advice) I used a Multimeter to check the voltage of the battery, I found out it wasn't charged and had about .8V in it. Bought a 1000MaH charger for airsoft from Componentshop (cheers Dev) and charged it today. I got home and plugged it in...I was like WTF!? AUGasm :lol:

I s'pose the good thing is that a) The gun is working and B ) I now know my way around a V3 mechbox and understand how gears work and pistons fire etc.

Brill stuff,

Cheers!

Nick :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users